Please add your name and email to be added to the waiting list.
The psychology of weight loss:
How to help your clients change their unhelpful eating habits
Join us on this course to help you deepen your understanding of the psychological factors which influence your clients’ attempts to lose weight. The course will explain why so many people’s weight loss efforts flounder, and will provide you with simple techniques for helping people to overcome these blocks and succeed.
You’ll learn how to incorporate up-to-date research from experimental, clinical and health psychology into your work with clients who want to lose weight or simply change their unhelpful eating habits.
You’ll learn about the psychology of habit change and what Working Memory is, and you’ll be able to explain these to clients in a way that enables them to understand why they’ve struggled in the past. Using this understanding, you’ll learn how to enable your clients to change those eating habits that keep their weight higher than they want.
The course will show you how you can assist your clients with two of the biggest issues in weight loss: willpower and motivation.
The emphasis is on practical, achievable and sustainable techniques and strategies, helping you to support your clients to change their eating habits for good.
The course will include a mix of presentation, discussion, reflection on your experience with clients, and exercises to enable you to develop additional skills.
Approved by the British Psychological Society for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Approved for CPD by the British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine (BANT), the UK Health Coaches Association (UKHCA) and by the Naturopathic Nutrition Association (NNA).
What you will learn
- Three main reasons conventional diets fail
- Simple aspects of the biology of eating and appetite that will enable your clients to learn to eat in tune with their body
- The Appetite Pendulum and how to use it with your clients
- The psychology of eating and appetite
- Behaviour change and how to achieve permanent habit change
- Working memory and why it’s important in habit change
- How to help enhance your clients’ motivation
- How to help your clients strengthen their willpower
- How to help your clients stop eating when they’ve eaten just enough
- How to help your clients stop eating when they’re not hungry
Approved for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by:
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
- British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine (BANT)
- UK & International Health Coaches Association (UKIHCA).
- Naturopathic Nutrition Association (NNA).